Breaking News
Loading...
Monday, December 14, 2009

Info Post

About a month ago, friend and mentor Fabrizio Erbaggio, and I were having a conversation about a wine tasting that was held at Ciao Vino. I mentioned that I didn’t really like one of the reds that he served. He asked me why. I said that it didn’t taste like Aglianico. Wrong answer? OK, I know over the past couple of years I have been playing it safe. I found a wine that I liked and I stuck with it. If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it, right?

Don’t get me wrong, I have other ‘favorite ‘wines; Piedirosso, Pallagrello Nero and Bianco, Fiano di Avellino, Falanghina. They are Campania wines, but it’s a big world out there; I felt I needed a little help to expand my horizons. Last weekend I was at Fnac, a bookstore in the heart of Vomero. There I think I found un pò di aiuto. I purchased 101 Vini Da Bere Almeno Una Volta Nella Vita-spendendo molto poco by journalist and author Luciano Pignataro (www.lucianopignataro.com) . This book has been out for a few weeks and it looks like it will be a great resource for me to ‘discover’ wines from all over Italy; reds, whites, sparkling wines, rosés, etc. Luciano has chosen 101 wines that are of high quality and low price .He has provided the reader with information such as which grapes are used, and data on the aging process. Addresses and phone numbers are included. He shares with us his wine tasting notes as well as particulars on the wineries and owners themselves.

101 Vini Da Bere Almeno Una Volta Nella Vita-spendendo molto poco is in Italian only, but maybe Mr. Pignataro will think about putting it into English one day. In the meantime, I will take this book as an invitation to get out and try new wines and visit wineries that are off the beaten track. I can’t wait!!

P.S. Wine #74 is an aglianico !

0 comments:

Post a Comment