Breaking News
Loading...
Thursday, May 24, 2012

Info Post

Wikipedia: Serendipity means  a "happy accident" or "pleasant surprise"; specifically, the accident of finding something good or useful without looking for it. 


Vinitaly...4 days full of rescheduled or missed appointments.  There was one, however, that I didn't want to miss.  An appointment with journalist Antonio Boco (Wine News, Gambero Rosso, Tipicamente ) for a mini tour through the Umbria Pavillion.  Let's meet at noon, at Sabino's stand, Boco suggested.    Sure...Sabino Loffredo, the owner of Pietracupa in Montefredane (Av) and a mutual friend.


I arrived at 1155...early.  I checked my phone...a message from Boco...Running 15 minutes late, scusa...
Scusa accepted, but in the meantime?  


In the meantime, sit down and try a few wines...I brought some of the older vintages, Sabino suggested.  In fact, behind the booth, Sabino had numerous bottles of Greco di Tufo, Fiano di Avellino, Aglianico and Taurasi.  Bottles from his collection, ones that are difficult to find if not impossible. All tempting...but I had tried them a few weeks earlier at a dinner at Pietracupa.  Anything different? I wanted to ask...but Loffredo was busy with an importer.  So I looked closer...and I found a bottle that I hadn't seen before. A black labeled Anonimo Rosato 2009 surrounded by whites. A rose'? Really?  I wanted to ask...but Sabino was pouring wines.  


So I poured myself a glass and was instantly struck by the color...not pink...not light ruby red...a color all its own.  Aromas that were strong, forte, smokyseductive. I waited awhile before I tasted...A full flavor that I was trying to wrap my head around, beginning to appreciate.  I wanted to ask Sabino...and when I turned to do so, Antonio arrived.  Ready for Umbria? he asked.  Certo, sure... I wanted to say ciao to Sabino...but he was busy pouring wines...


ps.  I eventually called Sabino to talk about Anonimo Rosato.  I learned that I was one of the few that have tried it.  You can't find it online, in the stores, or even in his cantina.  We only made a limited number of bottles...we played around back in 2009...un gioco... a game...


A game that I had a chance to play one  morning in Verona, at Vinitaly. While  waiting to discover Umbria, I rediscovered Campania...


Serendipity... a "happy accident" or "pleasant surprise"; specifically, the accident of finding something good or useful without looking for it. 







0 comments:

Post a Comment