Breaking News
Loading...
Sunday, November 7, 2010

Info Post
One more stop…One more vineyard Antonio Dente tells me. Stop three on a vineyard hopping voyage that had me in Pompei in the morning, Montemarano in the early afternoon, and now…? Now we were off to Santo Stefano for the Fiano di Avellino harvest. Fiano grapes destined to become Mastroberardino’s Radici Fiano di Avellino DOCG.

Sunset in Santo Stefano is spectacular. I hopped out of Antonio's SUV and walked through the rows of vines in silence. A cool breeze, low hum of the tractor, and rustling leaves were my company.

Beautiful golden Fiano grapes…grapes that could stay out and play longer than their cousins in Lapio due to this vineyard’s location. 550 meters above sea level…south - west sun exposure...sandy soil, rich in minerals…

I could envision this Fiano in a glass a year from now. Visualize its straw yellow color. Smell its fresh aromas such as peach and fresh flowers.

I looked around for my guide Antonio. He was busy with the boss. Antonio Mastroberardino, the head of the winery. Mr. Mastroberardino in the vineyards for his 64th harvest.

I don’t think Vineyard Hopping gets any better than this…



0 comments:

Post a Comment