Breaking News
Loading...
Friday, July 13, 2012

Info Post


Wikipedia: Serendipity means  a "happy accident" or "pleasant surprise"; specifically, the accident of finding something good or useful without looking for it.  


Summer evening at the buffet table at a party in Pompeii. I was holding  a plate of o cuppetiello, fried foods; potato crocchette, and arancini all wrapped in brown paper.  Tasty fried salty goodness just begging for something to wash it down with.    At the time, I was talking with a friend, catching up on what he'd been up to as we both headed towards the drink table.  Out of the corner of my eye, I noticed that the usual spumante wasn't being served...at least not on this side of the terrace.


Though listening intently to Francesco, out of the corner of my eye, I couldn't help noticing a glass being poured.  Ah beer...ok, I thought...qualcosa diversa...something different.


The conversation continued...Si, Si, blah, blah, blah as I reach for a glass on the table.  A glass filled with a spectacular light amber colored liquid.  The foam was settling as I held the glass to my mouth to take a sip.  Really?  blah, blah, blah...


But then I stopped...Francesco sort of faded into the background as intense aromas of lemons and other citrus fruits came to the foreground.  A sip...a long satisfying sip.  Then another as I glanced at the bottles in the ice bucket, my bottle on the table.   ReAle Extra by Birra Del Borgo.


Buona?  Francesco asked smiling.  I smiled back while nodding my head.  


I later learned from their web site that during production  the hops are varied especially in quantity: a huge amount is added in a different technique. All the hops are added during the last 10 minutes of the boil, using 3 times more than regular ReAle. The result is an explosion of perfumes, in a range from citrusy to resiny (pine resin and incense). The mouth feel is dry, with immediate bitterness, then it finishes with a beautiful, persistent tangerine note.


Si?  I'd like to add that it also paired perfectly with o cuppetiello, a summer evening, and light conversation at the buffet table.

0 comments:

Post a Comment