Breaking News
Loading...
Saturday, July 17, 2010

Info Post
One evening, I decided to take a drive out to Forino, Avellino to escape the Naples heat. I popped in for a visit with Raffaele Tornatore and his wife Flavia of Tenuta Montelaura. During a bit of conversation/chit chat, Flavia went to the kitchen and came back with a plate of peaches. But not any peach that I had seen before. A peach known as  Pesca Tabacchiera. Tabacchiera means ‘snuffbox’ and it is called this due to its form. This peach that looks like it has been sat on or thrown against the wall. One thing that I’ve learned in my 17 years here is that when you are offered something to eat, you better try it. ..I did... Wow!! Juicy, sweet, delicious. Probably the sweetest that I have ever tasted.

You can’t judge a book by its cover. It wasn’t the prettiest looking peach. One of the reasons that you won’t find it in your local supermarket. What a shame….




Photos by Raffaele Tornatore

0 comments:

Post a Comment